Date of birth:
Place of birth:
- primary and secondary school finished in Zadar.
- Studied Croatian language and literature and Philosophy at the College of Arts and Humanities at the University of Zadar; in 1972 continued his studies at the College of Arts and Humanities at the University of Zagreb, paralelly enrolling Art History and Comparative Literature.
- 1975 graduated in Croatian language and Philosophy.
- 1988 was awarded doctor’s degree in philology.
- Since 1976 employed at the Institute for the History of Croatian Literature, Theater and Music at the Croatian Academy of Sciences and Arts, first as an assistant, then as a research fellow and later as a research associate.
- 1991 - 1994 president of the Croatian Parliament of Culture.
- 1994-1999 director of the Division for the History of Croatian Literature.
- In 1998 became scientific counsellor.
- 1998 - 2002 filled the post of the president of Professional Council of Croatian Studies at the University of Zagreb.
- In 2003 scientific counsellor - lasting vocation.
- Full professor at the University of Zadar and at Croatian Studies at the University of Zagreb.
- Editor in chief of annotated edition of Complete Works of Milan Begović (Croatian Academy of Sciences and Arts - Ljevak publishing house) and editor of the Proceedings from an International Symposium The Reception of Milan Begović (1998).
- Editor of a series of proceedings published by liberal-arts colleges from five Croatian universities under the title Croatian Literary Historians. Until now, he edited nine proceedings: on Slavko Ježić (1997), Mihovil Kombol (2nd edition 1997), Franjo Fancev (1998), Tomo Matić (1998), Albert Haler (2000), Branko Vodnik (2001), Ivan Milčetić (2002), Dragutin Prohaska (2004) and Milan Rešetar (2005). Proceedings on Vatroslav Jagić are in preparation.
- Was member of editorial board of “Most - The Bridge”, magazine of DHK (Croatian Writers’ Association) as well as president of editorial council of scientific editions of Croatian Studies at the University of Zagreb.
- Member of editorial board of “Kronika Zavoda za povijest hrvatske književnosti, kazališta i glazbe HAZU” (Institute’s magazine).
- Member of DHK (Croatian Writers’ Association), Croatian Philological Society, Croatian Society of Theater Critics and Theatrologists, Croatian PEN center etc.
- Editor of some ten editions in the area of literature and cultural history, among which is a reprint of Croatian National Revival magazine “Zora dalmatinska” in five books (1994-1998).
- 2007 - 2010 director of the National and University Library, Zagreb
- 2005 - Award of the City of Zadar.
- has organized and participated in many scientific symposia in Croatia and abroad on topics regarding literary historiography and cultural history.
- Croatian Literary Historians, project manager.
Published six scientific and professional books, some seventy scientific papers in the area of literary and theater history, about a hundred professional papers and some thirty essays, literary studies and reviews published in numerous scientific and literary magazines and collected papers. He also published a book of prose poems and many of his prose works as well as works of poetry are published as contributions in literary periodicals.
D. Torbica, editor