Sibila Jelaska, Fellow of the Croatian Academy of Sciences and Arts
Date of birth:
Place of birth:
Functions at the Academy:
Membership in Academy:
Date and place of birth:
- 19.09.1938, Ljubljana, Slovenia
- B.Sc. (Biology), 1962, University of Zagreb, Faculty of Science,
- M.Sc. (Plant Physiology, Plant Tissue Culture), 1965, University of Zagreb, Faculty of Science,
- Ph.D. (Thesis Title: Morphogenesis of Pumpkin Explants Cultivated in Vitro), University of Zagreb, Faculty of Science,
- Professor (1987-)
- Senior Scientist-Adviser (1985-) at the Faculty of Science, Department of Biology, University of Zagreb (Croatia);
- Dean of the Natural Divisions of the Faculty of Science and Mathematics (1992-) in Zagreb
Academic and National Positions:
- 1998 - Retired, active in research projects and lectures
- 1997 - A member of the Croatian Academy of Sciences and Arts
- 1992 - An associate of the Croatian Academy of Sciences and Arts
- 1987 - Expert of National Council of Science, R Croatia
- 1985 - Advisor in Science, Department of Biology, Faculty of Science, University of Zagreb
- 1983-1987 and 1994-2001, Head of Postgraduate study of biology, University of Zagreb
- 1981-1980 Senior Researcher, Department of Biology, Faculty of Science, University of Zagreb
- 1971-1980 Research Associate, Department of Biology, Faculty of Science, University of Zagreb
- 1987-1998 Full professor in Mechanisms of Plant Growth and Development, and An Introduction to Scientific Research,
- 1962-1970 Research Assistant, Botanical Institute, University of Zagreb
Main Research Interest:
Plant cell and tissue culture in general term, mechanisms of development and genetics of differentiation and regeneration in tissue culture of higher plants, somatic embryogenesis, regeneration of herbaceous plants, and microclonal propagation of plants including woody species.
- The Award of Zagreb City for development of the own technology in seed potato propagation by microclonal technique, May 1984.
- The Stanka and prof. Ljubiša Glišić Award for the publication in Plant Cell Reports 3, 125-129, 1984, as the best article from plant physiology in Yugoslavia in 1984.
- The state award of R. Croatia for entire scientific contribution, 2000,
Membership in Scientific Societies:
- Biological Society of Croatia (Committee member 1984- ),
- Croatian Society of Plant Physiology (member, president 1978-1982),
- Genetical Society of Croatia (member, president 1984-1986),
- Yugoslav Society of Plant Physiology (member 1970-1991, President 1984-1986),
- Federation of European Societies of Plant Physiology (member 1975- ).
- International Association of Plant Tissue Culture (member, National corespondent for Yugoslavia 1976-1990),
- International Conifer Tissue Culture Work Group, (member 1981- ),
Papers, invited lectures-papers, invited reviews (over 80), papers at scientific meetings (over 80), public seminars (20), a monograph on Plant Cell and Tissue Culture - Fundamental Investigations and Application, published in Croatian language, 398 pp.,Školska knjiga, Zagreb, 1994.
Last update: April, 1998.
edited by: D. Torbica